BCSSE is available in either paper- or Web-based formats. Institutions may administer BCSSE as part of new student orientation programs in the summer or during the first two weeks of the fall term, depending on academic calendar and assessment needs.
Administering BCSSE involves active collaboration between BCSSE staff and institutional participants. Each BCSSE institution is assigned a client services team upon registration approval. The client services team will assist institutional users with every aspect of preparing and administering BCSSE. Keep in mind that unlike NSSE, BCSSE is locally administered by each campus. The client services team and BCSSE staff area always available to assist you with the administration process.
The Institution Interface (see "Institution Log-in" in our Web site header) provides a secure portal for downloading all necessary files including data and reports. The interface also contains all the information you need for a successful BCSSE administration including IRB-approved messages, informed consent, and administration procedures.
The timeline below approximates the general activities for BCSSE administration.
Winter/Spring (March through August)
- Online Registration opens in early March
- Survey Mode and administration dates are entered during registration
- For paper-mode institutions, BCSSE are typically shipped to you approximately one month prior to your first administration date. For Web mode institutions, the web survey will be "live" on the exact date you indicated during the registration process.
- Your campus administers the survey to your incoming, first-year students.
Summer/Early Fall (August - September)
- Data are returned to BCSSE for processing.
- BCSSE reports are generated and posted to the Institution Interface approximately 4 weeks after we receive all the institution's data
- Institutions retrieve their BCSSE reports from the interface.
- For more details, see the "Report and Advising Data Reporting Schedule".